How to make corrections to TDS returns

Where there is tax filing of any sort, there will be errors of many types. Some will be human errors, some will be computing errors, some will be information updates. And the more the inputs to be made, the more chances of errors that can happen. This is something that companies that file their TDS returns will relate with.

No matter how well you prepare the returns of the tax deducted at source by your company, there will invariably be some or the other corrections that you will have to make. For example, the name or addresses of a deductee would have to be changed, or there would be something wrong with the challan, or you would need to add or remove deductees, update their PAN number, etc. These corrections are important and have to be made because deductors are required to submit only one TDS return in a single form. The corrections can be made by using correction statements. If the errors are not fixed, the credit will not reflect in the Form 26AS of the deductees.

When to file a correction statement

A deductor will need to file a correction statement in case of the following:

  • Amount mentioned in the statement and amount received by the I-T Department do not match
  • TAN mentioned in the challan and statement do not match
  • Both TAN and amount are a mismatch
  • CIN (Challan Identification Number) mentioned in the statement is not found in the bank data

To learn how to file a correction statement, read our comprehensive guide that gives you a step-by-step process.

The easiest way to make sure you don’t have to bother with the different types of correction statements is by using the ClearTDS software to file your TDS returns. The software will automatically detect the changes and select the appropriate modes.

(Visited 716 times, 1 visits today)
Comments are closed.